A total of 259 of the great western 4-6-0 Hall class were built between 1928 and when the last 6958 Oxburgh Hall was delivered in 1943.
Designed by Charles Collett the prototype was a rebuilt GWR Saint no 2925. The rebuild included smaller driving wheels and the realignment of the cylinders in relation to the driving wheels.
4900 emerged from Swindon in 1924 and began three years of trials. This period allowed Collett to introduce other modifications including outside steam pipes and the pitch of the tapered boiler.
1928 saw the first of the new Halls enter service. Only slight variations occurred from 4900. The overall weight of the locomotive increased by 2 1/2 tons, along with a reduction in the bogie wheel diameter to 3ft. Tractive effort being around 27,275lbs.
The Cornish main line provided the proving ground for the first 14 of the class. Their success here and on other parts of the GWR ensured 178 were ordered before the original production batch of 80 had been completed.
By 1941 Hawksworth had replaced Collett and made further modifications to create the Modified hall.
5955 Garth Hall was one of eleven to be converted to oil burning, however within four years all had been returned to their original coal burning state.
1959 saw the first official withdrawals. All had been removed from BR(W) region service by 1965. Luckily 5967 is one of the 11 that survived the cutters torch.